Travel aware


Travel Insurance

The safety and wellbeing of our customers is our primary objective. That’s why travel insurance has been included in your package. You should check that it meets with your requirements and is fully fit for purpose. You may opt out if you wish if you advise us prior to making your booking and your price will be discounted accordingly. Either way, it is a condition of booking that you have comparable and adequate cover in place.

Many schools have some travel insurance in place with the RPA (or other commercial insurers), but it would be wise to check this cover carefully to verify that it covers you for all elements of any trip to be undertaken if you are choosing to opt out.

Details of levels of cover and terms and conditions can be found in the following policy documents, or visit the ABTA Travel Sure website at https://travelsure.abta.com/stf/.

Passports & Visas

For overseas trips you will need to ensure that every member of your group has valid documentation to travel. You should ensure that any applications for required documentation are made in good time so that they are received well before you depart.


A full valid passport will be required, and for some destinations it will be necessary to have an extended period of validity beyond the end of the trip. It is essential that the names you supply to us on your passenger list (particularly for groups travelling on flights) match the names that appear on the passports. Discrepancies may result in additional charges, and even refusal to travel. For up to date information regarding applying for a passport go to https://www.gov.uk/browse/abroad/passports

Collective Passports

For some trips a Collective Passport may be used for qualifying groups. However, they are not accepted in all cases so you should double-check in advance if you are considering this option. Please check out the following link for further details: https://www.gov.uk/collective-group-passports


Some countries require an entry visa for the duration of your stay. It is important to note that a visa may be required by a non UK passport holder that is not required by a UK passport holder. We recommend you check with the relevant embassy or consulate without delay as visa applications can take several weeks to organise.


You should obtain a GHIC (Global Health Insurance Card) or only if you have rights under the Withdrawal Agreement, an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) well before leaving the UK. For most people, the GHIC replaces the existing EHIC for new applications although you can typically use an EHIC if you have one prior to expiry date. Both are free and you should beware of unofficial websites that may charge you a fee when you apply. Neither the GHIC nor EHIC are a substitute for travel insurance as you will not be covered for medical repatriation, on-going medical treatment or treatment of a non-urgent nature. Remember - each person in your group requires a card. You can presently use a GHIC while visiting EU countries, although further countries may yet be added to the list.

Visit: https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/apply-for-a-free-uk-global-health-insurance-card-ghic/


Before You Go

Further details on travelling abroad can be obtained by visiting the Government website at https://www.gov.uk/travelaware which provides important information on all the destinations we feature, as well as travel tips, checklists and safety videos and guidance on staying safe and healthy abroad. You should visit this in advance and are advised to sign up for email alerts for your chosen destination. You can also follow FCDO Travel on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.